Job Title: Estimator
Location: Northern California
Roles & Responsibilities
At Independent Construction Company, dedication to excellence in service has been a cornerstone of our company from the very beginning. Independent Construction owns one of the largest earth moving fleets in the United States which makes it possible to complete a multitude of aspects in construction ranging from small to very large in size, and we pride ourselves in providing service that will make our clients feel comfortable both with the finished product and with future projects they may have. We have completed thousands of projects as the general contractor working for developers, cities, and municipalities. Our work consists of grading, paving, construction management and land development. Come be a part of a legacy that has been around since 1938.
Independent Construction Company is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Estimator. The ideal candidate is someone who is organized and possesses strong time management skills. This position is responsible for assisting in the development of timely bid proposals and accurate estimates for both private and public-sector grading and paving projects.
- Analyze and compile estimate data to ensure quality and timely estimates.
- Review drawings, specifications and proposed project site conditions; record findings and solicit input from field operations to include in final project estimate.
- Seek out alternative solutions and construction methods to increase competitiveness of the bid.
- Determine, review and validate “take-off” quantities to ensure accuracy of data used in estimates.
- Utilize existing cost history as a check to complete estimate.
- Analyze and evaluate bidding risks, strategies and present estimate for bid reviews with senior management for final review.
- Communicate estimate information to project manager, project superintendent, and foremen to ensure understanding of project scope and critical means and methods of construction for budget compliance.
- Provide ongoing assistance during the construction phase of successful low bids as necessary, including estimate or means and methods interpretation.
- Maintain healthy business relationships to increase bid opportunities in the regional market.
Knowledge, Skills and Strengths:
- Knowledge of construction grading and paving practices including production rates, contractual documents, plans, specifications and soils reports, etc.
- Ability to work within and comply with proposal/bidding time constraints/deadlines, individually and in a team environment.
- Previous experience with estimating software, HCSS is preferred (Bid2Win, Hard Dollar, etc.)
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to produce and maintain a project schedule using Primavera, SureTrak, Microsoft Scheduler or other software.
- Previous experience with AGTEK, and AutoCAD software is a plus.
- Solid leadership, supervisory, communication, decision making and organizational skills.
- Thrives in fast paced, fun, competitive work environment.
- Attention to detail while productively meeting goals is a must.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or demonstrated project management/estimating work history and related experience in lieu of degree.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years construction field support/management experience.
- Minimum 1 – 2 years of construction estimating support, engineering, or similar experience.
- Benefits: We offer an excellent benefit package.
- Health, Dental and Vision- Employee and dependents (family) coverage premiums are 100% employer paid
- Long Term Disability – employer paid
- Death and Dismemberment- employer paid, includes spouse and dependent children
- 401 (k) Retirement Plan includes, Pre-tax and Roth Deferrals
- Employer Match
- Profit Sharing
- Safe Harbor
- Performance based bonus assessed annually
- Sick leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Company Vehicle, with gas card
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- Company conducts post-offer, pre-employment drug screening and Motor Vehicle Report.
- Valid & Current CA Driver’s License & Clean Motor Vehicle Report
- 21 years of age as required by insurance to drive
- Physical requirements include the following:
- Ability to lift and carry 10-50 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, finger, grasp, write, and perform repetitive motions.
- Exerts up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects with the human body.
- Hearing and speaking ability sufficient to carry on a conversation with another individual (or groups of individuals) in person and over the telephone.
- Visual ability sufficient to read and produce printed material and information displayed on a computer screen.
- Ability to sit, stand, drive, walk for 2-10 hrs per day
- Compensation DOE: $95,000 – $145,000 Annually
Independent Construction Company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to any legally protected characteristics or classes.Apply