Job Title: Estimator / Project Manager
Location: Southern California
Roles & Responsibilities
This position is responsible for assisting in the development of timely bid proposals and accurate estimates for both private and public sector grading and paving projects and as needed project management including, safety, contract administration, budget compliance, field operations oversight, and maintaining healthy Owner/Agency relations.
- Analyze and compile estimate data to ensure quality and timely estimates.
- Review drawings, specifications and proposed project site conditions; record findings and solicit input from field operations to include in final project estimate.
- Seek out alternative solutions and construction methods to increase competitiveness of the bid.
- Determine, review and validate “take-off” quantities to ensure accuracy of data used in estimates.
- Utilize existing cost history as a check to complete estimate.
- Analyze and evaluate bidding risks, strategies and present estimate for bid reviews with senior management for final review.
- Communicate estimate information to foremen at pre-construction meetings to ensure understanding of project scope and critical means and methods of construction for budget compliance.
- Maintain healthy business relationships to increase bid opportunities in the regional market.
Project Management Responsibilities
- Management of Agency / Owner contract documents, changes, submittals, etc.
- Management of subcontractor scope and contract changes.
- Management of construction materials and delivery methods.
- Management of costs and forecasting project “costs to complete.”
- Supervision of field operations.
- Ability to travel to various locations as projects warrant (good driving record).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Strengths
- Knowledge of construction grading and paving practices including production rates, contractual documents, plans, specifications and soils reports, etc.
- Ability to work within and comply with proposal/bidding time constraints/deadlines, individually and in a team environment.
- Previous experience with estimating software, Hcss is preferred (Bid2Win, Hard Dollar, etc.)
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to produce and maintain a project schedule using Primavera, SureTrak, Microsoft Scheduler or other software.
- Previous experience with Primavera Project Management, AGTEK, and AutoCAD software is a plus.
- Solid leadership, supervisory, communication, decision making and organizational skills.
- Thrives in fast paced, fun, competitive work environment.
- Attention to detail while productively meeting goals is a must.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or demonstrated project management/estimating work history and related experience.
- Minimum 2- 3 years construction field support/management experience.
- Minimum 1- 2 years of construction estimating support, engineering, or similar experience.
- This is a full-time benefited position.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required.
Please email resumes to [email protected]
Independent Construction is an equal opportunity employerApply